Alexa Chang introduced her brand in Ukraine
Creative director and founder of the clothing brand ALEXACHUNG, and earlier model, TV presenter and editor of Vogue. Alexa Chang flew to Kiev to introduce her brand in Ukraine, play billiards with the guests of the presentation in Helen Marlen Mandarin and tell Vogue UA about the creation of her brand, the style of Ukrainians and plans for the future. – At what point did you understand that you want to create your own brand of clothing?
– I would not enter this moment in any time frame. It was more of a feeling that came over me. There was not such that, say, on December 12, I decided to create my brand. It was like feeling when you decide to leave your boyfriend or move to another apartment. Something that, like you, creeps you, and you, in turn, go to meet him. I thought about this year, and at some point I just felt that the time has come.
– After much thought, when you finally decided to create your brand, how long did it take you to launch it?
“A year passed before we launched it.” During this time we gathered the team together: production, design, office search.
– Did you like the process of launching the brand?
– Some of the organizational moments are very shitty, some of them are quite good. In principle, like any work. I really liked the beginning, when only ideas and ideas were thought out. I really liked working with photocameras, playing with clothes, changing clothes, experimenting with images. Other things seem too complicated for me. I’m not very good at visualization and in color. Say, the sketch itself is the size of a coin, and you must imagine it on a huge fabric slot. We want our brand ALEXACHUNG to be accessible to people. It should be something between high fashion and high street style. Therefore, for us it is important not to waste time and money on the wrong topic, and this is difficult. On the other hand, I like planning events, I like traveling and presenting collections.
– Is your brand a continuation of your personal style?
– I think yes. At first, I did not want to say this, because I wanted to be taken seriously. But we live at a different time, everything is changing in the modern world. This is perfectly acceptable. Of course, the whole design is created under my supervision, relying on my taste. Clothes, I create – an expression of my inner world. I just hope that this framework is not too strict.